Friday, August 28, 2009

Can I Better Myself?

Emotional vaccuum. Does it ring a bell? Basically what I have understood by it is that in any relationship there are several needs which need to be fulfilled..physical, material, social, emotional...Out of these its easy to deal with the physical needs - food, clothes, toys, books, schooling - we make sure our child goes to school, we make sure he has tuitions, we make sure he has toys to play with, we make sure there is his favourite food in the kitchen and so on. And we also think that we have done our job as a parent. A few questions we may need to ask ourselves - Is my child emotionally secure? Do I have a positive emotional tie with my child? Or does my child despite all my efforts still crave for something more? A hug, a kiss, an "I love you", a piggyback ride...Does my child believe that he or she is the most precious thing for me? Or is he or she battling with my work or other committments for my time? Is there an emotional vaccuum between my child and me? Nothing which cant be remedied. But before that its the acknowledgement of EV being there in the first place. Its tough as we all think we are doing the absolute right thing. But being tough doesnt mean impossible.

And if the child has some special needs then it becomes even more imperative to identify this vaccuum and fill it up with love and tenderness. Our kids are very fragile emotionally and they need all the positive reinforcements they can get.

So lets promise ourselves that we will make a conscious effort to love our kids even more and tell them...loud and clear. After all, bache to aapne hai na!!

No comments:

Post a Comment